History of SEICA
The Association was organized by a small group of businessmen led by James MacDonald. The first meeting was held on August 19, 1949 at the Poinsett Hotel in Greenville, South Carolina. The association was the second regional group to organize, the first being Western States. The association was incorporated on February 5, 1951 as a non-profit organization under the laws of the state of North Carolina. The original name was Associated Asbestos Contractors of the Southeastern States, Inc. The individuals involved with the incorporation were Guy M. Beaty, Jr., W.L. Market, James MacDonald, and J.A. Mock.
One of the first steps of the association was to publish an insulation manual pertaining to materials and specifications. The manual was published in June of 1952 and distributed among contractors, engineers, and other interested parties. The committee for the manual was composed of W.H. Boyle, Chairman, Guy M. Beaty, Jr., James P. Ennis, John S. Falconer, James MacDonald, and Sam L. North.
In January of 1960, the 2nd edition of the manual was published. This edition updated materials and specifications. The members of this committee were W.H. Boyle, Chairman, T.E. Bush, R.T. Dean, J.P. Ennis, E.C. Long, Joe P. North, and C.E. Thurston, Jr.
By 1970, the organization felt the need to change the name of the association to eliminate the word "Asbestos." The name was changed to "Southeastern Insulation Contractors Association, Inc." and a new board was elected at a meeting in Atlanta on June 9, 1970. This board consisted of three members already serving, Don Gavin, J.B. Norman, and J.M. Reynolds along with three new members, Duke Hales, Warren Jones, and Wayne Killion.
In June of 1987, the by-laws were amended to admit distributors as members of SEICA.
Each year, SEICA hosts two organizational meetings - one in the spring and another in the fall. SEICA celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1999.